Thursday, December 18, 2008

Roland's Reflection

The field trip visit was indeed an eye opener for me. I would never have imagined that Singapore's first centralised logistics base - the Army Logistics Base (ALB) is such an efficient storage facility that saves land and increases storage capacity. In fact, the development of the state of the art ALB has freed up labour, saved land and also allowed quicker retrieval of stocks, thus improving efficiency and effectiveness.

From my observations, I realized that ALB adopts a through flow layout because the incoming and outgoing functions are at opposite ends. Each warehousing floor has a height of approximately 30 metres. Therefore, the storage systems installed are vertical carousel, pallet/bin ASRS (Automated Storage and Retrieval System), high rack narrow aisle racking, mobile racking and shelving.

Vertical carousel system is used to store medical supplies and items. These medical items require temperature and humidity control and therefore are stored in an air conditioned room to ensure goods safety. Vertical carousel system is preferred because it increase cubic capacity of warehouse and provides excellent product security as well as minimizes employee injuries.

In addition, at the autospare warehouse, bin ASRS (width 13m, height 9m) which has a capacity of 2900 bins, is used. Cranes are then used to move the bins to the location at the rate of 60bins per hour. The fully computerized ASRS is easy to operate and allow fast access to materials.

Lastly, I discovered that VNA Truck is used in narrow aisle racking. At the enlistee equipment warehouse, through flow layout is also adopted with live storage system whereby new goods are stored near the inbound and old ones are being stored near the outbound. In this case, First In First Out (FIFO) system is applied.

It was indeed a fun and enriching experience for me. Learning DCM would never be so boring again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.